Our group of allies is increasing! Artists raise their voices against the total destruction of Balkan rivers – they want to see them protected, not dammed.
After local communities, national and international scientists and NGOs, as well as the European Parliament have all voiced their protest against hydropower dams on the Vjosa river, it is now the mayors of the Vjoa valley who unify against the projected dams. In an open letter to Prime Minister Edi Rama and Head of the Albanian Parliament Ilir Meta, the mayors of Përmet, Tepelenë, Memaliaj, Mallakastër and Selenicë put forward the concerns of the affected communities they represent.
In the letter, the Vjosa mayors call upon the Albanian Government to
- re-consider hydropower projects along the Vjosa River and its tributaries.
- undertake initiatives for cancelation of concessionary contracts related to the construction of hydropower plants along the Vjosa River and its tributaries.
- ensure the implementation of mechanisms for community participation in decision-making process as foreseen in the Albanian legislation.
- Cooperate with the Vjosa valley's LGU-s and other stakeholders, to explore strategies for sustainable economic development for the area considering development projects that do not affect the integrity of the river and guarantee the protection of our natural heritage.
- require full transparency by the Greek Government for the interstate agreements regarding the Vjosa River.
Read the full open letter HERE